As the Christmas season comes upon us, we think about what kind of gifts we should give our friends, family and loved ones. It is also a good time to consider giving The Ultimate Gift of Life by registering to be an organ donor.
According to UNOS (United Network for Organ Sharing), there have been 27,606 transplants done between January 1 and November 25, 2016. This was possible primarily by individuals who made the decision to register to be an organ donor and by those that have made the decision to be living donors, donating a kidney or part of a liver.
Currently, there are 119,813 people waiting for a life -saving organ transplant and on average 22 people die each day while waiting. When you make the decision to register to be an organ donor, you have the potential to save 8 lives and improve the quality of life to as many as 50 others – The Ultimate Gift of Life.
Making the decision to be an organ donor is a way to “Turn a Time of Loss Into a Time of Hope”.
Many who have lost a loved one who had made the decision to be an organ donor, say that they find comfort in knowing that their loved one helped to save or improve other lives. Those receiving the gift of organ or tissue donation are so grateful for their chance to live full lives.
Many have not registered because of some misconceptions, here are some facts:
- Anyone can register to be an organ donor regardless of age or medical history.
- The quality of your medical care will not be compromised because of your decision to be an organ donor.
- There is one national waiting list and matches are made by computer to insure the best compatibility.
- Most religions support organ donation.
- There is no cost to the donor and an open casket funeral is still possible.
So, this Christmas give The Ultimate Gift of Life. Register to be an organ donor.